The industrialization of the 19th century caused an enormous surge of the textile industry in Augsburg, Germany. The worsted spinning mill of the Augsburger Kammgarn Spinnerei (AKS) was built in 1836 and employed up to 2,000 workers during its heyday, making it one of the largest spinning mills in Europe.
The spinning mill drew its last breath by 2004. Following a few years of decay, it was renovated and transformed into the retail and office centre it is today. Through a close collaboration between the owners and the city of Augsburg, the 7 hectare-sized vacant plot on which the Spinnerei is located was completely rearranged and redesigned. Drawing on the building’s industrial past, the complex was given the name Quatersite Kammgarnquartier Augsburg.
In addition to the renovation of the original building, the complex was joined by two new volumes. One houses a supermarket store, while the other is an exposed, stacked building with a circular balcony that provides space to several restaurants and offices. This expansion allows visitors to shop and work in a buzzing urban environment.